Eco Stain™ is a semi-transparent, water dilutable, concentrated, micronized pigment for staining unsealed concrete. Zero VOC’s allow for use in all areas with stringent VOC laws. Contains no polymers or acrylics. Ease of application and color dependability makes Eco Stain highly desirable when the job matters. UV stable attributes make Eco Stain ideal for all interior or exterior projects.
Typical applications for Eco Stain are concrete and concrete overlay: floors, walls, ceilings, countertops, wall panels, and other architectural elements in both residential and commercial settings. Additionally, Eco Stain can be applied to travertine, pavers and other porous surfaces.
See what you are getting as you apply! Because there is no chemical reaction, you can see what the finished product is going to look like as you apply the stain.
Eco-Stain™ is a liquid penetrating, semi-transparent water-based concrete stain for accent coloring that can be sprayed, brushed, rolled or even sponged on.
This creates a unique look for you. Eco-Stain™ can be used for staining concrete floors and walls including overlays and cast concrete products such as table tops and concrete countertops.
Eco-Stain™ is available in a concentrated liquid 32oz. bottle that makes one full gallon. Eco-Stain™ will cover approximately 200 square feet per gallon.
Hard Rock carries 15 of the 30 concrete stain colors available. Eco-Stain™ can be diluted up to 10:1 to create virtually any color stain color desired. Applying concrete dyes has never been easier.
Hard Rock will also pour a Standard Formulation of this product into 4oz., 8oz., or 1 Litre sizes for your smaller projects.
The principles for surface preparation for Eco Stain are aligned with other coloring agents for cement-based products; the substrate must be:
- Clean: The surface must be free of dust, dirt, oil, grease, paints, glues, sealers, curing agents, stamp tool releases, efflorescence, chemical contaminants, rust, algae, mildew and other foreign matter that may prevent proper absorption. Customarily SCR is appropriate for cleaning. Refer to the SCR TDS. Some cleaning may require other measures that should be evaluated (e.g. grinding, shot blasting).
- Cured: Eco Stain is best used on cured concrete and cured concrete overlays. One may apply Eco Stain on not fully cured concrete, final color may not be realized until 14–28 days, or once the concrete is fully cured. Eco Stain may be applied to most concrete overlays in 8 hours’ time, or once the surface has dried to a uniform moisture level.
- Sound: No system should be placed on concrete or overlays that are flaking or spalling.
- Profiled: SCR™ (Super Concrete Renovator) is utilized on every project to properly clean and profile concrete and cement-based overlays. On surfaces mechanically abraded, SCR is still recommended.
4 oz. Standard Color (118mL) bottle 32 oz. Concentrate (947 mL) bottle 128 oz. Concentrate (3.8 L) jug
MIX RATIO See Mixing & Application section.
COVERAGE 200 ft.² at “standard strength” (18.6 m²) per gallon (3.8 L)
Under normal conditions: when kept dry and moisture free, out of direct sunlight, the shelf life of an unopened container is (12) months from the date of purchase. Storage must be under roof and off the floor. Rotate inventory to maintain the product
Note: Some substrates are excessively porous. Concrete and cement-based overlays that were finished poorly [not closed with a steel trowel], broomed, or are very old may absorb Eco Stain so deeply that little color, if any, is visible. On these projects, the use of Eco Prime is required. See SC Polymer TDS for details on how to make Eco-Prime).
Eco Stain’s ability to dry is based on the evaporation of the water. Hot and sunny weather will allow Eco Stain to dry faster while cool damp conditions will prolong the evaporation process. Airflow will help accelerate dry times in areas such as basements or where air flow is limited.
MIXING & APPLICATION
Eco Stain is available in concentrate, not ready to use format. It must be diluted with water before use. Dilution rates are based upon the type of concentrate used (ie: 32 oz or 128 oz bottles). Turning Eco Stain into the “Standard” color found at https://www.surecretedesign.com/ colorchart can be found on the dilution charts below.
Additionally, Eco Stain can be diluted much further with water, extending coverage rates and the transparency of the stain, if desired.
Creating a “Standard” Color
Step 1. Shake Eco Stain bottle vigorously for 1 minute before use.
Step 2. Pour the desired amount of Eco Stain in a larger mixing vessel. Step
3. Turn Eco Stain Concentrate into “Standard Color”, by adding clean water (based on the chart below).
Step 4. Add a small portion of the desired water for usage, into Eco stain bottle and shake for 10 – 15 more seconds to ensure all concentrate has been dispersed. Pour into mixing vessel. Stir for 20 seconds.
Step 5. The product is ready to use as a “Standard Color”. Apply product as desired
Diluting a “Standard” Color
Step 1. Shake or stir your Eco Stain “Standard Color”.
Step 2. Measure out the desired amount of Eco Stain by oz. Step
3. Add equal parts of clean water to the premeasured Eco Stain.
Step 4. Shake or stir product for 10-15 seconds.
Step 5. The product is ready to be used, apply the product as desired.
Based on 32oz Bottle turned into 1 Gallon of Standard Color Eco Stain
Eco Stain alone does not affect slip resistance, but the sealer selected to finish the project will influence this matter. Refer to SureGrip TDS and its accompanying coefficient of friction table to aid in reducing slip fall on exterior surfaces. SureFinish is used to help with interior applications, see SureFinish TDS.
CHOOSING A SEALER
Eco Stain can be sealed with penetrating sealers. Use sealers that comply with the application parameters, such as interior or exterior applications, UV fastness, and slip resistance. Suitable sealers available from SureCrete are described as follows:
- HS 200 Series
- HS 300 Series
- Super Series
- DK 120
- DK 180
- DK 400
- DK 400WB
- DK 500
- DK 600WB
For mixing and application instructions, see the appropriate TDS for above listed choices.
Always prepare an adequate number of on-site test areas on the intended substrate to establish aesthetic suitability for products’ intended use.
Eco Stain can be cleaned up with water.
Contact your local government household hazardous waste coordinator for information on disposal of unused product.
- For use by trained professionals that have read the complete TDS and SDS.
- Raw material supply for the specialized pigments may vary by batch.
- Utilize the same batch of Eco Stain for entire job or “box” multiple batches for consistency.
- Eco Stain can aid in blending concrete, but will NOT hide existing concrete discoloration, blemishes, cracks or other surface problems.
- Eco Stain does not carry a sealant and should not be used as a standalone product.
- Eco Stain sees only porosity and will highlight porosity differences in the surface it is applied to.
- Eco Stain dries a few shades lighter, then when wet, to keep the color enhancement, a color-enhancing sealer or coating MUST be used.
- Hard Troweled surfaces and other surfaces in which the pores are smaller than the pigment in Eco Stain, will cause Eco Stain to dry on the surface.
- If sealer or coating comes off the concrete surface, Eco Stain will also leave as it bonded with the protective film applied.
Warranty of this product, when used according to the directions, is limited to refund of the purchase price, or replacement of the product (if defective), at manufactures/seller’s option. SureCrete LLC shall not be liable for the cost of labor or direct and/or incidental consequential damages.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Inhalation: Avoid prolonged breathing of airborne dust, particularly present during mixing.
Use NIOSH approved respirator for nuisance if threshold limit values are unsafe. Skin Contact:
Skin contact may cause irritation. Remove contaminated clothing and wash affected skin with soap and water.
Launder clothing before reuse. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention.
Eyes: Wear safety eye protection when applying.
Contact with eyes may cause irritation. Flush eyes with water for 15 minutes. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention.
SAFETY DATA SHEETS The following are links to all available safety data sheets related to this product:
DATA SHEET DOWNLOADS